Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Observations (part 2)

Hi friends!!! It's been a while! Here's my second installment of observations...

7. The Burkinabe love to dance. They also love to watch themselves dance. The first time I went to a "club" here (one 
Saturday night of stage with my host dad, lololol), I was amazed by both the mirrors and the dancing in front of them. Although when thinking about it for the purpose of this post, I think the mirrors in clubs are the biggest mirrors accessible to most people, so it's kind of understandable.

8. There's always a crier. When we were little, there was always that one friend/sibling/classmate who was always crying, right? (Yes, I know, Tess, when it comes to the siblings, it was me. But don't make me talk cause and effect...)
Well turns out that's kind of universal. In my neck of the woods, Diviney (DIH-vih-nee) is the crier. I've only lived here (in this village, that is) for four months, but I can already distinguish the sobbing of dear sweet GrĂ¢ce Divine from (at least) 100 yards away.

9. Rain on tin roofs is very misleading. From inside, it sounds like it's almost a torrential downpour, and then you go outside and it's barely sprinkling. Talk about disappointing.

10. I think Obama has more star power in Africa than he could ever know. There's underwear for sale here that say Obama on the waistband. I would have taken a picture except for the fact that they were sticking out from a child's pants, so that would have been creepy.

11. (continuation of sorts from 10) I've seen more USA flag/various USA themes t shirts here than ever before. I want one.

Okay let's talk animals. (Please, you all knew there would be some about animals)

12. Bats make very mechanical sounds. It's very eery. As if bats weren't eery enough. 

13. Relative to the size of their bodies, goat testicles are enormous. Also, pregnant goats always look like they're literally about to pop. I see a lot of goats, but I've never seen one that only looks, ya know, moderately pregnant. They're either normal sized, or almost as wide as they are long. Or they have testicles the size of oranges.

14. The phrase "running around like a chicken with it's head cut off" is kind of redundant. How so? Well I don't know if you know this, but chickens run around like that even when their heads are attached. When chickens come into my courtyard, if I make a move anywhere near them, they start freaking out and running around in circles. Both amusing and sad.

The end...for now.
xo, chlo

1 comment:

  1. God, it's fun to read you!!!!

    (It's like you're right here!! And, I can just see those damn, sad, funny chickens! Poor things. Haven't you tamed them by now Chlo?!)

    ReplyDelete