Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Observation: Sass is Appreciated

...or maybe the better word is respected? You can decide.

So I get off my bus in Ouaga, and I'm greeted by a taxi hustler of sorts.
Him >> Taxi?
Me -- Yes!
>> Where?
-- Zone du bois, behind the Red Cross.
>> Okay 1,500.
-- No way, I know the price is 1,000.
>> Okay, okay, come on out front.

He goes and gets the taxi, already filled with three people in the backseat, and I sit in the front. Another guy gets in the back, and we're off. I'm assuming he told the driver where I want to go, because the driver doesn't ask me. We drop off a couple people nearby, pick up one more, drop him off, and then we're finally heading in the right direction for me.

Uh oh, I know this is the right area, but it's not a route that I'm familiar with. Hope he knows where he's going.

We pass a couple restaurants I've heard of, and that I know are close to the transit house, but then he goes, "okay, Red Cross, we're here."
Um, no we're not.

He suggests that we ask at the pharmacy across the intersection. While waiting to cross, a friendly pineapple vendor comes to the window, so I ask him if he knows where the Peace Corps building is - PRAISE THE LORD! He does, we're just a couple blocks off the street that I DO know. Wonderful, thank you sir.

We turn down the street where the actual Red Cross is, and the driver tries to tell me that because we had to ask for directions, it's going to be another 500.
Conveniently enough, right as he says that, we pass the real Red Cross, so I get a little sassy and say, "No, THAT is the Red Cross, if you had brought me here before, we wouldn't have needed to ask directions. It's 1,000."

Him >> But you said Red Cross, Red Cross is 1,000, but this is further
Me -- No, I told the man at the bus station that it was behind the Red Cross, it's not my fault if he didn't tell you that. Turn left.
>> Okay well add something

I'd already had my 1,000 bill out and ready to pay, so I think to myself "add something, eh? I'll add something, ya brat" and sift through my bag in a huff for my wallet. Damn, no 25 or 50 cfa coins, it'll have to be a 100.

We roll up to the bureau (the transit house is next door):
>> here?
-- yeah fine this works. (Still in a bit of a huff)

I hand over the 1,100 (making it clear that I am unhappy about that extra coin) and go to get out of the car. His face when he realizes that it's only a 100 cfa coin was priceless - first indignant, then kind of a resigned amusement when I point out, "you said add something - I added something."
He chuckles a bit and admits that that's true, and gives me a "have a good night" before leaving.

Considering a part of me was afraid that he would be so annoyed about driving further that he'd drive off with my bike still in the trunk, I'm counting that as a win! :)

xo, chlo

No comments:

Post a Comment