Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Children as Minions

One thing Burkina does really well with its children is instilling a sense of respect for one's elders. Actually, "blind obedience" might be more accurate. There are exceptions to every rule, of course, and obviously American children are (generally) expected to obey/respect adults too, but not to the same degree as Burkinabe kids. The evidence is as follows, in roughly chronological order...

Evidence #1
Setting: Pre-Service Training, a bar after class
We arrived at one of our favorite spots only to learn that they were out of boxes of wine. After a brief discussion with the girl I was going to share one with, I decided to go on a hunt among the nearby boutiques and bring it back. As I was leaving, one of the "peace corps volunteer facilitators" (PCVFs, a current volunteer helping w our training) said, "you know you can just give money to a kid and make them go it, right?"
Well, that would certainly be easier, now wouldn't it? Done.

Evidence #2
Setting: My village, during site visit
My homologue and I had just eaten lunch at my village's only bar/restaurant, and we were walking back to my house. About five minutes down the road, he realized that he'd forgotten his phone at the restaurant. Did we turn around and go get it? Surely not! A child was nearby!
"Hey kid! I forgot my phone at the restaurant, go get it."
Run along now, we'll just be waiting here in the shade...

Evidence #3
Setting: My house, end of rainy season
My courtyard was rather overcome with weeds, and even though my neighbor had told me, "you should make the kids remove that," I hadn't done much about it.

Thankfully, my homologue took matters into his own hands, and had five 5eme students come by after class one day after their classes and take care of business. It took them an hour, but I gave them water and candy, and they seemed content with the trade.

Evidence #4
Setting: My school
The director of my school had offered to let me borrow a table/desk for my house, and there it was, ready to go. Morning classes were over, and I was wondering how it would get to my house (almost 2k away). My homologue -- clearly this man knows what's up -- simply asked a group of boys if they were going in the direction of my house (they were) and instructed them to bring it for me.
After a couple tries carrying between two people's bikes, one of them decided that (a) it wasn't that heavy, and (b) my house wasn't that far.
So, he just put it upside down on his head, balanced it with one hand, and started off for my house.
And that's how I got my first piece of furniture.

Evidence #5
Setting: My house
I'd been wanting to build a tippy tap (Google it) in my courtyard, but had no wood to make it, and no machete to cut any from surrounding trees. 
Enter: Joe, my sweet neighbor boy (he's like 15)

So Joe came by one morning to bring me some fruit ( << more on this is my next post, "children as allies"), and I recognized his arrival as the opportunity that it was. After all, if he had time then to pick fruit and bring it to his neighbor, he must not be too busy with chores and such, right?
I asked if he could do something for me (yes), explained what I wanted (no problem), and he came back not 20 minutes later with everything I needed. I paid him with candy, fully expecting him to be on his way, and then he said, "don't you want me to dig the holes?"
Well, if you want to, I certainly won't stand in your way, young Joseph.

Evidence #6:
Some guidelines // Things that happen so often that they don't merit their own stories
(Yes, I know some of the above may not have merited their own stories either. Whatever.)

- if a child is a the pump, an adult does not pump water. Also adults with children big enough to pump water are rarely at the pump to begin with

- if a teacher wants juice/gateau/peanuts from the ladies selling them at school, s/he does not have to walk all the way over there and get it

- if a mother is busy, a baby is strapped to its sibling's back just as easily

- if you need to give something to someone (i.e., a phone that you were charging for your neighbor), just snag a kid to deliver it for you

- if you can't find something in the marché, ask a tantie and she'll send her kid with you to show you where it is

Hope everyone is enjoying life in America without minions! Suckers... ;)
xo, c

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha!!!! I was just thinking, "Man! I want some of those!!!!" (Although Chlo, I think Liz would argue that I had that 'child labor' down Pretty, Pretty Well while y'all were growing up!!! Hahaha!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete