Thursday, August 21, 2014

Quick quick update!

OMG y'all it's happening! I swore in on Tuesday, bought things for my house yesterday (in Ouaga) and got to Tenkodogo today! There are four new volunteers in my region, so the first two were dropped off this morning in a Peace Corps car, and Kelby and I were going to be picked up in the morning. BUT THEN! we were walking down the street and we saw the car and our awesome driver, Moussa!!!

He picked us up, drove us (in the air conditioned car) around to a couple places for some bigger items,  and even helped Kelby not overpay for a bed! AND when we got back to our hotel, he helped me fix the flat tire on my bike.

Now, Kelby and I are at a hotel (not our own) mooching our last bit of internet time! Tomorrow morning, Moussa (and Kelby) will drop me off at my new house and then they abandon me all by myself…! Needless to say, I'm a little intimidated, but looking forward to it nonetheless.

The first three months of service are called "Etude de Milieu," which means that we have to learn a whole lot about our villages and write up a report about it by the time our In-Service Training (IST) rolls around at the beginning of December. The idea is that asking all those questions will help us integrate into our communities, and having the answers will help us develop good projects in the future.

During Etude, we're supposed to stay at our villages as much as possible - both to be able to get to know it, but also so our communities don’t think we're not really interested in being there. SO what that actually means for anyone following this blog: I think I'll be fairly out of touch for a while. :(
But don't worry about my radio silence! I'll be fine!

The good news is that after I get my solar panel set up (probably in a few weeks), I'll be able to charge my computer so I can type out all sorts of updates - on the last few exciting things of Stage (there were several), and on Etude - and post them when I get a chance!

Hope all is well on the home front - love y'all!

xo, chlo

PS - here's a link to the story on our swearing in! http://burkina24.com/2014/08/19/usa-burkina-prestation-de-serment-de-30-nouveaux-volontaires-du-corps-de-la-paix-americain/

No comments:

Post a Comment